Sunday 1 March 2009

Marriage - A wedding or a lifelong commitment?

"I'm a newlywed, get me out of here"

I read an interesting article in Glamour the other day about those who get married and realise their new husband is not quite Mr.Right after all.

Several women dream about their fairytale wedding from a young age but is that the problem, do people focus more on the 'perfect' wedding day than the marriage. Divorce online revealed that 10% of the 220,000 people who marry each year will split within 2 years of marrying.

I am like most girls, I have always dreamed about a fabulous wedding but not thought about the rest. Where I differ from a lot is that 'the dream wedding' is all it is, I would be happy not getting married if it meant I was happy, look at Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell or Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins.

I think it's a shame that the divorce rate is so high, what is it about getting married that ruins people's relationships, were they not made for each other in the first place or did they grow apart. My parents were married 25 years before they drifted apart and separated. On the other hand, my sister is approaching her 3rd anniversary and their relationship couldn't be happier.

I'd love to know what keeps a marriage together, I believe honesty and re-vitalisation. I couldn't be in a relationship without discussing things so when the time comes, you know whether to keep quiet and let them get on with it or open up to one another. I think re-vitalising a relationship is key, like trying something your partner likes that you might think is not for you or doing something spontaneous.

All I hope for is that i'm as happy as my great uncle and aunt, who were married for over 50 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment