Tuesday 24 February 2009

*OSCARS*...a night of inspiration..

I HAVE to see Slumdog Millionaire! I call myself a film buff and that's the only film excluding 2 or 3 that I haven't seen at the local Lincoln Odeon and I'm very annoyed. Twice it was sold out and other times my friends didn't want to see it.

I think it's brilliant they've done so well at the Oscars, for the British film industry, as it gives hope to wannabe film makers and actors, even in this economic struggle as films don't have to be made on an extreme budget. Benjamin Button had Brad Pitt, a $150 million budget, lots of hype and 13 oscar nominations...but only walked away with 3.

I am thrilled that Kate Winslet won best actress as she is such a versatile actress and those who didn't like 'The Reader' still praised her performance. I have always followed her career since watching Sense and Sensibility and Heavenly Creatures very young and every film i've since with her in i've loved.

She was criticised for her emotional outbursts at the Golden Globes but when I watched the speeches I had tears in my eyes, she was so grateful and happy that her work had finally been recognised and showed sincere admiration for her fellow nominees. I believe that young girls can look up to her, as she said in her speech, she was once a young girl who dreamed of winning an Oscar when looking in the mirror with a shampoo bottle.

Aside from British success, I am thrilled that Sean Penn won for his incredible portrayal of homosexual political activist Harvey Milk because there are still those in the state of California who think it's acceptable to vote against gay marriage! It's 30 years since Harvey Milk was elected into public office and also since he was assassinated, he was known as the 'martyr for gay rights' but those rights are still not equal. Hopefully this win opens the eyes of those who are ignorant.

1 comment:

  1. Slumdog was indeed a brilliant film, however I felt that the advertising line of:

    "The feel good film of the year"

    was a little bit of an overstatement, I personally walked out of the Odeon with a head full of thoughts, despite the bangra dance-off at the end.

    I think if nothing else, that Slumdog was a perfectly concepted piece of visual art which had a wealth of meaning behind it.

    MollyHardcore x

    ReplyDelete