Thursday 12 March 2009

Three years for throwing shoes at President Bush? AND they didn't even hit him..tut

Yeah sure, throwing shoes at the President might be disrespectful but THREE years in prison!! What? To be honest I think Muntadar al-Zaidi (the Iraqi journalist who threw them) had every right as he felt it was hypocritical that President Bush had surprised Iraq with a 'farewell dinner' after 5 years occupying their country and killing innocent people.

In Arab culture it is a grave insult to throw shoes at someone but I think Zaidi's motive was to get a message across that many people had felt in Iraq. I mean it's a stupid thing to do really, seeing as George Bush was the President but even he laughed off the incident. I think being charged with 'attempted assault on a foreign leader' is extremely harsh considering the nature of the supposed "attack", afterall how many people get seriously injured from having shoes thrown at them?

I am definitely anti-Bush so I could be seen as bias defending this man but I think occupying and bombing a country for 5 years is a little more extreme than throwing a shoe at someone. And I definitely would've done the same...the only difference is, I would have aimed a little closer to his head!

No comments:

Post a Comment