Monday 23 February 2009

Better late than never...

I must apologise for the lateness of this blog, especially when Valentine's was last week and this would appear to be outdated. The reason, well excuse is that I like to write things down on paper, jotting ideas by the side and scribbling if I need to; yes I must admit I'm quite a techno-phobe seeing as I clumsilly press something and it disappears of the face of the Earth.

LOVE vs. MONEY

A day to celebrate love or another excuse to get us to part with our money?

In a time of economic struggle, you'd think people would be sensible but I read in the Lincolnshire Echo that it is estimated that individually people spend up to £150 on a single present for Valentine's Day.

I must make a solid confession then...I did just that. OOPS! It's not like me really, I have always to some extent been a cynic as Valentine's Day has taken a whole new level to the origins of 500+ years ago when a single note was passed amoungst the ones who loved and Geoffrey Chaucer made public readings of "love letters" popular. Oh how romanticism gets swept away with the time...

These days, as soon as Christmas is over, Valentine's gifts appear in shop windows ranging from balloons to teddies to love bugs to chocolate, etc. And yes I admit, I bought a present for my other half but only because there's a day dedicated to "love". Truthfully, the way I or anybody else feels about the one they love should not be held for just one day in a year! On the otherhand though, it's hard not to want to celebrate when you're with someone and it sort of gives me a buzz when walking around town to see how many people are so intent on celebrating.

Maybe it is true what Richard Curtis tells us, that "love IS all around". Well... at least on Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment